Pages

October 10, 2012

How To Have a Gallery Hallway

My husband takes fantastic pictures and I am always looking for a way to showcase them in our home.  I decided to turn our hallway into his very own art gallery.

This could pose only one problem ~ the pictures would have to be perfectly aligned or it would drive me crazy.  (Ok, I may have design OCD tendancies).  Here is the step by step and EASY process of how I got all 5 pictures to be perfectly aligned. 




The blank canvas I began with.

The tools you will need for this project :


Start by setting the picture frames apart roughly the distance you will want to hang them on the wall.  Once they are spaced the way you would like them, measure the distance between the hangers on two of the pictures.



Using painter's tape, rip off a section the distance measured between pictures. 

For my pictures I rounded up to an even 24 inches.






Grab two of your handy-dandy picture hangers.  I hold them in my mouth.  You might not want to do that.


As I am hanging 5 pictures I am starting with the middle picture.  To find the exact middle of the wall, I measured the wall space I am using and divided by two. 

The area I am working with is 14 feet ~   divide that by two, and I knew I wanted my middle picture to be placed at the 7 foot mark.

Here I placed the edge of the painter's tape at the 7 foot mark and worked my way to the right.




Check to make sure the painter's tape is level on the wall.  The great thing about painter's tape is you can easily adjust it if you need to.


Place a picture hanger in the same spot on each end of the tape. 

To keep it simple, I used the upper corner each time.  I am not an expert picture taker (thus the big shadow in the middle of the picture) but you can see where I placed my hangers at the same spot on each end of the tape.


Repeat the process by simply moving the tape over using one of the hangers you just hung as your starting point.

You can see the blue tape between picture 2 and 3.

Continue on until all your pictures are hung.





Just look at how straight those pictures are!













Ta Da!  The completed project.  Well, almost complete as I have yet another idea brewing.








No comments:

Post a Comment